Sunday, August 10, 2008

update from the last 2 weeks










I apologize to everyone who has e-mailed me and has not heard back from me. I’ve been very busy with my church family showing them around Nigeria for the last two weeks. I didn’t even stay at my house and I barely had a chance to get home to check e-mails. When I did write I mainly wanted to give you an update on Nathan and let you know that he needed your prayers.

Now I’m resting after a tiring two weeks. When teams come they usually want to jam a bunch of things in a short amount of time. When my team was here i found myself doing a lot of running around but I was able to enjoy them and see other facets of the ministry. My assignment was to be with my church wherever they went and assist in any way I could. I met them in Abuja and then we traveled to Jos the following morning. When we arrived in Jos I was given a box that my family packed for me. In it were all sorts of exciting items; M&M’s, Oreo’s, pretzels, Heinz Ketchup, Franks Red Hot Sauce, Fig Newtons, cake mixes, brownie mixes and plenty of seasonings and spices. They also brought me many books for personal study and for teaching to the boys. I had a great time opening and enjoying the gifts that they brought for me.

The first day did not have a happy ending. In the evening is when Nathan broke both of his legs. Here in Nigeria we don’t have a 911 service or ambulances so we had to take him on a stretcher in the back of a van to the local hospital. 72 hours later he was evacuated to South Africa. The team maintained their composure very well and was able to continue on with the scheduled events. The main thing they did was washing the boys’ feet and giving them a new pair of shoes. We also did 3 medical outreaches, 1 prison “inreach”, spent 7 hours on Sunday leading a church service(2 actually), and visited the different care centers.

The team left on Thursday at 1 PM and arrived safely back in the United States. Many on the team were talking about future opportunities to do long term missions. I’m excited because I may see some of them back here next summer…we’ll see!

As for me, I’m resting and relaxing. Friday I spent all day in my house and ate some of the junk food that they brought my way. I journaled, prayed and read. I had a great time alone. This week the boys go to summer camp. I’m not sure what it will be like but I’m looking forward to it. I’m being sent to the senior camp so I’ll have older and more mature boys. It ought to be an exciting week. Pray that there are boys who commit their lives to Christ.

If there are certain things that you’d like for me to write about then please e-mail me your topics at joeshriver18@gmail.com





No comments: