Friday, February 6, 2009

My Mary, My Merry

Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebecca, Jacob and Rachel…

Joseph and Mary.

In this case, Uncle Joseph and Mary.

The more words I write, the less likely you are to read. Pictures say a thousand words right?

Mary is the daughter of one of the staff in our care centers. She is about 2 yrs. Old and has an adorable voice. She can’t really speak much English and I can’t speak much Hausa but, somehow, we find a way to communicate. She loves when I come to Gyero because it usually entails “sweets” coming her way or maybe a balloon or an orange. Sometimes I make a bowl of rice and red stew and guess who is there to help me eat it. If I am shaving, guess who is there? If I am reading, guess who is always there? If I leave, she will cry. When I come, she is always happy to see me. Other times I just want to trek to the top of a mountain with all of the kids but guess who seems to find her way onto my back. Mary and I are inseparable as she is always at my side.

The feeling of being appreciated (though it may be for sweets) some how makes life in Nigeria a lot easier and interesting. I appreciate lil’ Mary and she appreciates me.

Meet Mary…









No comments: