Monday, October 5, 2009

Another Day

 Another day

Or so it seemed

When I heard the words

I would’ve never dreamed

 

“He didn’t live”

Were the words I heard

They pierced my heart

Like a two-edged sword

 

I remember that day,

The smell of the air,

The weight of my heart,

The overwhelming despair

 

Trying to move on

Were the difficult years

For often my eyes

Would swell up with tears

 

The seasons were the worst

Because he was no longer there

The hardest part…

Seeing my mother in despair

 

Six feet under

But close to the heart

Memories of my brother

Never depart

 

The months began to pass

But him I would not let go

Until reality set in

And I realized it was so

 

Emotions still linger

As the years pass by

The pain grows stronger

Under the October sky

 

Sometimes my dreams

Try to bring him back

But when I awake

His presence I lack

 

Hundreds of thoughts

Often flood my mind

He was my brother, my friend,

One of a kind

 

And though his death

I will never forget

I believe in heaven

With him I will sit

 

It hurts, I won’t lie

When I think of his life

But I look to tomorrow

And the end of this strife

 

As I stay

Upon this earth of old

Memories of him

Will never grow cold

 

I often think of him

With whom I once played

My memories of him

Will never fade

 

On that day

When we meet again

We will dance for the Lord

And feed from his hand

 

But for now

As the years go by

In my heart

You will never die

 

O God why?

Is often the cry in my pain

But then I look at the cross

And see His Son slain

 

My brother?, Christ?

On a cross for us all?

Absurd! Insane!

Yet redeemed from the fall!

 

My brother Jesus

What a perfect loss

For His life was given

To bring me to His cross

 

I once lost a brother

Better than them all

I then found Christ

My All in All

 

“It pleased the Lord to crush Him”

That’s what the prophet said

Now I’ll live again

Even after I’m dead

 

Though it hurts

To wallow in pain

For the price of my sin

His own Son was slain

 

Believe on Christ

And you too will live

The blessings of salvation

To all He will give

 

The choice is yours

He is the One Who can save

Flee to Him

Before you reach your grave

 

A perfect gift

Is awaiting you

Run to Jesus

And be made new

 

It was foolish to question You

But now I know why

You opened my eyes

You allowed him to die

 

When we meet again

No one can say

For now I wait

For another day


In memory of Ricky, my brother and my friend.


July 18, 1981---October 6, 1999

No comments: